DIY -Installation of the Front Door

It’s in.  It’s done!   I love it so.  Oh….wait a minute…let me back up and give you some back ground.

Many moons ago, in a land called Montana….there was this girl who bought a front door and wanted it installed.  The front door that was on the house was a good front door….just not the right one.  So after many internet searches, the perfect one was found and purchased……in March.

Old Door:

IMG_0045The new front door has been impatiently waiting to be placed in its rightful place…(ok – the impatiently waiting part was all me)

Dave was super awesome about the whole thing.  He had to do all of the work to get the hinges cut in and the holes cut for the deadbolt and door handle.

IMG_2344There was only one mis-step…..the door was up -but we needed to take it down and shave off a little bit from the side to ensure a good fit.

IMG_2345Isn’t it wonderful??  The slammer screen door kind of takes away from the overall affect.  But that slammer door is staying, at least for the summer.

IMG_2346IMG_2354

 

Dirt, gravel and a Bobcat – the making of a new front exterior

This weekend was supposed to be easy, this weekend was supposed to be a walk in the park…..alas, Dave and I don’t roll that way.  1 1/2″ gravel was delivered on Friday for the front garden, with the idea to load up the front garden and be done.  Here is a before pic:

DSCN1749Dave and I got to work on the front garden fairly early on Saturday as there was a potential storm rolling through our area in the late afternoon.   The Bobcat made quick work of the heavy gravel.  Dave was able to sneak in through the plants and sprinklers – making it super easy for me to rake out the rock.

IMG_0042Above – you can see Janey relegated to the porch.

We were able to complete the front garden before noon.  That was a positive and a negative all at the same time.  I asked Dave if we would be able to expand the parking space that we had already planned on.  He agreed and we made so much more work for ourselves!!!  The initial gravel expansion would have been a 1 1/2 day deal.  That one small ask tripled, quadrupled our work load.

IMG_0049We were going to leave the grass in from end of the cement pad to the house….but we went all in and took it out all the way from the road to the house.  In doing that we needed to take out 3 sprinklers, which lead to adding back in a spigot (that’s the white PVC pipe coming up left of center), which led to an incident with the sprinkler system and digging out the control center in the middle of the side yard.  Arg.  Saturday ended in rain so we wrapped up early in the day.  Sunday was also a bit on the rainy side, so we had just enough time to put in the french drain for our gutters and called it for the day.

We will be working on the driveway and my front door this whole week….can’t wait to update you.  Have a great Monday Peeps!